The railway bridge, about 80 yards downstream from the Waterloo bridge, is currently (2007) the newest bridge spanning the Ness opening in April 1990. The original railway bridge was swept away by the river on the morning of 7th February 1989 after heavy rainfall on the 5th and 6th. There were no trains on the bridge at the time although the train to Kyle of Lochalsh was due to leave Inverness station at 8:30 am, warning was received in time.
The original bridge had stood since 1862, consisted of five arches each spanning 73 feet. There were additional arches on each bank and two girder bridges to span Anderson Street on the Merkinch side and Shore Street on the town side. These latter sections survived the collapse, but the bridge over Shore street was damaged on 5th October 2003 when it was hit by a low loader carrying a JCB.
GROOME, FRANCES H.ed., 1903. Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland. New edition. London: The Caxton Publishing Company.